Filing a Nomination and Running for Office

When and how can I register to run for local office?
Nominations were accepted between May 1 and July 27, 2018. The Nomination Period is now closed.
Do I have to pay a fee to register to run in the election?
At the time of filing, each candidate must submit a filing fee of either $200 for the office of Mayor, or $100 for all other offices. The nomination filing fee is payable to the “Town of Ajax” by cash, debit, cheque or money order (credit cards will not be accepted). The filing fee will be refunded if the candidate submits their financial statement on or before 2 p.m. on the filing date for filing their financial statement.
Who is qualified to run for Office?

A candidate for municipal office must, upon nomination, be a qualified municipal elector and fulfill all of the following requirements:

  • A resident of the municipality, a non-resident owner or tenant of land in the municipality or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant;
  • a Canadian citizen;
  • at least 18 years old;
  • not legally prohibited from voting; and
  • not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.

Note: A candidate, if nominated, must remain qualified throughout the election and, if elected, throughout the term of office.

Who is NOT qualified to run for Office?
The following persons are disqualified from being elected to municipal office:
  • any person not eligible to vote in the municipality;
  • an employee of a municipality, unless he or she takes an unpaid leave of absence before being nominated, and resigns if elected to the office;
  • a judge of any court;
  • a member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, a Senator or a member of the House of Commons;
  • an inmate of a penal or correctional institution under sentence of imprisonment.
Can I run for more than one Office?
Candidates can only be nominated for one office on a municipal council or school board in the Province of Ontario at a time. If a person is nominated for a second office, the first nomination is deemed to be withdrawn.
Can I run in a different ward than the one where I live?
As long as you are eligible to vote in the municipality, you may run in any ward. If you run in a ward where you do not live, you will not be able to vote for yourself. 


How can I withdraw my candidacy?

The last day to withdraw one's candidacy was Friday, July 27, 2018.

A candidate who has withdrawn is still required to submit a completed financial disclosure covering all financial transactions made up to the date the nomination was withdrawn.

When can I start accepting campaign contributions?
Your campaign starts when you file your nomination. You cannot accept contributions before filing your nomination.
When can I start putting out election signs?
Election signs are only permitted beginning on the first Tuesday after Labour Day (September 4, 2018) until voting day (October 22, 2018) and must be removed within 48 hours of the close of voting. Refer to the Town of Ajax Election Sign By-law #005-2018 and the Region of Durham’s Temporary Sign By-law for details regarding permitted locations, size, distancing and setbacks for election signs in Ajax.
Do expenses for post-election parties and gifts of appreciation count towards my election expense limit?

No, according to section 88.20 (8) of the Municipal Elections Act, the cost of parties and gifts of appreciation after the close of voting do not count towards your regular expense limit for the election. However, these costs are subject to a separate expense limit established in section 88.20 (9) of the MEA. The expense limit for post-election parties and gifts of appreciation is calculated in section 10.16 the Town of Ajax Candidate's Guide.

Can I accept contributions through a website, e-transfer, or other electronic means?

It is difficult to answer this question with a clear “yes” or “no”, as Election Staff are not familiar with every website or electronic donation mechanism, and the features that they can or can’t offer. However below is some relevant information relating to the acceptance of contributions. It is incumbent upon candidates to satisfy themselves that the method they've chosen to accept contributions is compliant with those rules.

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs' Candidate Guide outlines many requirements related to contributions, for example:  

 All contributions above $25 must be made by cheque, money order or by a method that clearly shows where the funds came from (such as certain debit, credit or electronic transfer transactions). You must issue a receipt for every contribution you receive. The receipt should show who made the contribution, the date and the value.

Candidates must ensure that the method they have chosen can meet the necessary requirements of the Act. A candidate may wish to ask themselves the following questions (page references refer to above-linked Candidate Guide):

  • Who can make a contribution: only individuals who are normally resident in Ontario may make contributions to campaigns – can your website verify the identity of a contributor and their place of residence? Are you able to validate this information? (page 18)
  • Contribution limits: the maximum contribution from any one donor is $1,200 – can your website limit donations to a maximum amount? (page 19)
  • Contribution receipts: you must issue a receipt for every contribution received – can your website generate receipts for donations, or can this be handled in some other way? (page 20)
  • Your financial statements must include the name and address of all individuals who contributed more than $100 – can your website require the collection of this personal information? (page 20)
  • Anonymous donations: you cannot accept contributions from anonymous sources. Can your website prevent or reject anonymous donations? (page 20)
  • Returning ineligible contributions: you are required to return any ineligible contributions you receive. Anonymous contributions must be turned over to the Clerk – will you be able to issue refunds if you identify an ineligible contribution?

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs is best positioned to answer detailed questions about Campaign Finance rules established in the Act, and their contact info is found on the last page of the Ministry’s Candidate’s Guide:

Central Municipal Services Office

13th Floor, 777 Bay St.

Toronto ON M5G 2E5

Telephone: 416-585-6226 or 1-800-668-0230


Voters' List and Voting

Who is allowed to vote in the municipal election?
 A person is entitled to be an elector (voter) at an election held in a local municipality, if on Voting Day he or she is:
  • a Canadian citizen;
  • at least 18 years old;
  • residing in the local municipality or an owner or tenant of land there, or the spouse of such owner or tenant; and
  • not otherwise prohibited from voting.
I live in one ward and own a property in another ward within the Town. Can I choose which ward I want to vote in? Can I vote once for each property I own?
 No. You may only vote once in a municipal election and you must vote in the ward where you live.
How can I make sure I’m on the list to vote?

To ensure you end up on the Voters' List, visit voterlookup.ca. Voterlookup.ca is an online service available to Ontario residents. Using voterlookup.ca, electors can confirm and update their Voter Information for the upcoming municipal and school board elections.

You can also contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) by phone. 

How can I remove a voter from my household? 

To remove a person from your property who is no longer an eligible voter (i.e. a grown child who has moved away, a former tenant), please contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation at 1-866-296-6722. 
How do I vote by Proxy?
Given the forms of remote voting available to electors during an 8-day voting period (Internet and Telephone) and the provisions for voter assistance, Proxy Voting is not permitted in Town of Ajax municipal elections.
Can I vote by paper ballot?
Paper ballots are not available in Town of Ajax Municipal and School Board elections. Voters may vote by internet or telephone, and may seek assistance from a trusted friend or family member or at a Town-run Voter Assistance Centre.

Where can I learn about options for Accessible Voting?

The Town offers a variety of supports to enhance the accessibility of the municipal election. For more information, see the Town of Ajax 2018 Election Accessibility Plan.

2014 Election Information

 Where can I find the results from the 2014 Municipal and School Board Elections?
 Please visit the Town of Ajax website for 2014 Election Results.
 Where can I find Financial Statements for 2014 Election Candidates?
 Candidate Financial Statements can be found on the Town of Ajax website

Other Questions

 What are the Offices to be elected?

•     Mayor

•     Regional Councillor, Ward 1

•     Regional Councillor, Ward 2

•     Regional Councillor, Ward 3

•     Local Councillor, Ward 1

•     Local Councillor, Ward 2

•     Local Councillor, Ward 3

•     Regional Chair – Durham Regional Council

•     2 Trustees, Durham District School Board (1 north, 1 south)

•     2 Trustees, Durham Catholic District School Board

•     1 Trustee, Conseil scolaire Viamonde

•     1 Trustee, Conseil scolaire Catholique MonAvenir

 How much money can I contribute to a candidate?
A contributor shall not make contributions exceeding a total of $1,200 to any one candidate in an election. This limit is never to be exceeded regardless of the number of offices a candidate may have been nominated for during an election period. In addition to this, a contributor shall not make contributions exceeding a total of $5,000 to multiple candidates for office on the same council or local board. It is also important to note that cash contributions over $25 are not to be accepted by or on behalf of a candidate – any contribution that exceeds $25 shall be contributed in a manner that associates the contributor’s name and account with the payment or by a money order signed by the contributor.
 Can I obtain a rebate for a campaign contribution, or write it off on my next tax return?

Contributions to municipal campaigns are not eligible for a tax rebate.

However, electors qualified to vote in the 2018 Ajax Municipal Election may be eligible for a contribution rebate issued by the Town of Ajax for contributions made to candidates for seats on Ajax Council. Only qualified electors appearing on the voters’ list as of the end of voting day are eligible to receive a rebate, provided that the contribution and related application complies with all of the rules and requirements established in the Town’s Rebate Program Bylaw. Under the Municipal Elections Act, rebates are not permitted for candidates for school board trustee positions.

Rebates can be received for multiple contributions made to more than one candidate for Ajax Council, but the total of all rebates cannot be more than the allowable maximum. For the 2018 Municipal Election, the maximum combined total rebates that a qualified elector may receive with respect to their contribution(s) is $225. Monetary contributions made during a Council candidate’s campaign period are eligible for a rebate. Rebates are calculated using the following formula:

  • A minimum contribution of $20 is required to be eligible for a rebate.
  • The rebate shall be 75% of the contribution, up to a maximum rebate of $225 for any one contributor.

Candidates for Council are responsible for the proper completion and submission of rebate forms to the Town. If information regarding the contributor is missing or inaccurate or if the contributor is not identified on the Voters’ List as of the end of voting day, a rebate will not be issued.

 What sort of ID is needed to be added to the list, or to register to run?
Valid and current ID showing name and address must be shown. The Province of Ontario has established a list of acceptable documents for voter identification. 

Vote Ajax, Anywhere, Anytime - October 15-22, 2018